Thursday, May 7, 2009

Drive-by Promoting

I know promotion is important in this business. And I know it can be daunting trying to come up with new ways to get the word out. But I’ve come to really hate drive-by promoters. So much so, that I’m thinking about removing anyone from my Facebook ‘friend’ list who invites me to join a group or fan club, yet hasn’t taken the time to say hello to me. It’s really a matter of common courtesy.

Think about how you’d act at a conference for a moment. Would you just hand your card to everybody you walked by? No. You stop, smile, engage in a bit of chit-chat, look for an opening, and then, when you’ve established you have something in common, something the other person might benefit from, you offer them your card. It’s really the same concept in the cyber world.

If you want me to join your group, all you have to do is stop at my wall, say hello, say something about me(I’m a sure join if it’s something that shows me you took the time to visit my webpage) and what I might gain from joining said group. Now, really, is that so difficult?

Yes, if you have 2,000 friends it would be a time consuming task, but the people who actually join would be more likely to buy your book, or whatever it is you’re promoting, because they’d feel connected to you somehow.

Now, before what I’m saying is misconstrued, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to put your blog, or website, or whatever it is you want the world to see, in your status. How is this different? Because you’re not soliciting me directly, you’re just putting the info out there for any who might be interested. It’s the difference between a television ad and a person thrusting unwanted flyers into my hands as I walk by them on the street. I don’t know what you do with the flyers you get, but I can tell you what I do with mine…exactly the same thing I’m doing with unsolicited group/fan club invites.

No comments:

Post a Comment